English 3, Post 2, 'Why did I choose my major (study program)?'

 Warm Salutations, Earthlings from Sciences

In this week, you are expected to write about, 

- your dream job when you were a child 
- other career/study options that you had at the moment of applying to university 
- what made you decide on this major? 
- your experience at the university until now 
- Upload some pictures (optional)
 

 > word count: 130 words  (minimum)
 > don't forget to leave comments on 3 of your classmates' posts (optional) and on your teacher's post as well (compulsory). 

 As usual, I leave a sample post for you to make fun of or to take as a starting point for your own written work, 

Since I was a child, I did not think about getting a job or dreaming –daydreaming, perhaps- about getting a job. I did not contemplate the idea of an ideal job because it simply did not exist in my childish world. I was really into video games, soccer, and cycling. Now, that I think of it, I never imagined myself making money out of playing video games or playing soccer. I thought they were only hobbies to spend my time on. 
  
When applying to a University program, there was a hand of career options I seriously considered following: Philosophy, Literature, Medicine, and Law. I decided on English Pedagogy because I saw English as a medium for reaching an end (nowadays I still do), what sort of end, you might ask. It was an end that allowed me to combine Literature and Education and watch them both from other perspectives, the ones from an English-speaking country. 

When recalling some experiences from my experience at University, I only will tell you they were not as satisfactory as I could have thought they would be, mainly because of an idealism one may nurture from adolescence, or because I felt sort of misplaced inside the university community itself. I would like to think it was because of the latter. 
  
There is no ideal job for me to think of, but I would like to say that I would like to lecture on two topics; (a) English Literature as a matter of intellectual escapism, and (b) Methodology and Applied Linguistics to prospective Teachers of English as a Second Language. 

What about you? 
Thanks for reading, 
Cheers.

Comments

  1. Good afternoon teacher, your post is really interesting. When one person learn a new language it isn't only about how talking or reading it, we must also learn about culture and history to understand it.
    The english can open many oportunities in this globalized word
    With your experience, What is the biggest culture difference between an English-speaking country with a Spanish-speaking country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi René, I liked what you said about why you chose to be an English teacher. I hope to be able to teach classes on the two subjects you mentioned soon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rene, it is sad to know that for most people who were or are in college it is a bad stage in their lives. I hope that in the future things can change for the better.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi teacher! I am impressed by your other career preferences, they are all from very different fields! I am very sorry to hear about your university experience! As a consolation when I studied my first degree I felt the same way and that is why I left that university.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi professor! I enjoy reading your blog; I can't believe how many options you considered. Do you imagine yourself being a doctor or a lawyer now?. Anyway, I guess you chose well; I really enjoy your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi professor, it was very interesting to read this post, I would like to know more about the topic (a), specifically about intellectual escapism

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi teacher. It was really interesting read about why you studied english pedagogy. I'm really interested on the topic "English Literature as a matter of intellectual escapism". I usually listen about videogames, movies or art as a form of escapism of the reality but as an intellectual escapism? I would really like to read about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rene! Your story is very interesting, it's so curious the difference between your earlier options and your current job, I mean, Medicine and Law are totally different worlds in relation to pedagogy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello René, unfortunately, I think I understand what you mean when you talk about the idealism of the professional career and I also think that realizing that you have experienced something like that is very important. I feel that it is something that I have also experienced and I want to believe that it is also something common or something normal...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi René, I think that a lot of people don´t have an ideal job, but they can have a good life using any to do what they like in their free time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rene! I think that was a very good idea to decide on English Pedagogy because you are a very good teacher. I empathize with you when you say that you felt sort of misplaced inside the university community itself because I felt the same while I studied my first career. Thank you for sharing your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rene thanks for share your experiences of your studies, is very interesting your objetives, you are a very good english teacher so you can reach all of you want.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I think that for everyone to choose a career is and adventure and a difficult path. It´s interesting to know the process on someone else. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi teacher, I think that a lot of persons, specially in the adolescence, have a lot of options to study, like lawyer, medicine or pedagogy, and we don´t know what to take. It is very hard to know what is going to be our job for the rest of our lives. When I was a child I want to be doctor, paleontologist or witch. I thinks all of that is not so far from the science jaja.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

English 3, Post 4, 'Choice of two topics' (choose one of the two)

English 3, Post 3, 'My favourite piece of technology'

English 3, Post 5 [Final], Choice of two topics [#2]